A drug for reducing antibiotic resistance and killing bacteria
Betatide is a novel synthetic cell-penetrating peptide that attacks bacteria in a fundamentally new way. It reduces antibiotic resistance development and act as an antibiotic.
Treatment of skin, lung, prosthetic joint infections and other infections caused by drug-resistant bacteria.
- Novel mode of action, new target.
- Broad single agent effects towards priority pathogens (all ESKAPE pathogens).
- Potentiate effect of other antibiotics. No cross-resistance.
- Reduces the development of resistance towards current and future antibiotics.
- Successful studies in animal models of skin and prosthetic joint infection, successful pilot in lung infection.
- Repeated dose toxicity study by i.v. infusion to rats showed no major toxic effects
- Patent granted in USA, Canada and several countries in Europe.
- Pre-clinical stage, ongoing studies in other animal models of bacterial infection as well as toxicity studies.